The Master of Arts in Digital Games is a full-time program that lasts three semesters. It offers students the opportunity to pursue an independent artistic and academic project over the course of the study program. Students need to choose two out of three game development disciplines: Game Arts, Game Design, Game Programming. In semesters 1 and 2, they attend courses related to the chosen disciplines as well as to the Media & Game Studies field. In the third and final semester, students solely focus on their project.
For more information on how to apply to the M.A. program in Digital Games click here.
- 3 semesters (1 ½ years)
- Language of instruction: English
- Start: second half of September
- Number of students per year:15
- No tuition fees
- Work on a personal or group project
- Game Arts
- Game Design
- Game Programming
- Media & Game Studies
- Economics & Entrepreneurship
- Teaching & Research Practice
- Focus on both academic theory and professional practice
- Project-oriented learning
- Transdisciplinary collaboration
- Bachelor degree (or higher) in game arts, game design, game programming, or similar*
- Successful completion of Cologne Game Lab’s application procedure
- International students need to apply through Uni-Assist as well. Check our special information for international students
Applications for the M.A. in Digital Games will open in early March. Throughout the application process CGL will examine all applicants’ formal, artistic and academic qualifications as well as their English language proficiency. Be prepared to submit a research and development project that you want to follow up throughout your graduate studies. It is possible to submit a group project. However, each team member needs to send an individual application detailing his or her contribution to the project as well as proposing a personal research project. Please keep in mind that this means that not all group members might be accepted. If you have any further questions you can email our student counselor, Federico Alvarez: email@example.com
*Note: In case your Bachelor degree comprises less than 210 ECTS you will have to make up for the missing undergraduate credits during your studies at CGL by, for instance, taking additional courses in our BA program. This will most likely increase the duration of your studies.