The Master of Arts in Game Development and Research is a project-oriented program that lasts four semesters and is designed to be combined with part-time work (whether it is a job in the industry or the development of a personal project, etc.). Students receive guidance in the development of numerous game design projects as well as the theoretical foundations necessary for a critical approach to the design and research of video games.
For more information on how to apply to the BA program click here.
- 4 semesters (2 years)
- Part-time (required attendance: Mondays all day and Wednesday evenings)
- Language of instruction: English
- Start: mid-September
- Number of students per year: 15
- Game design
- Visual aesthetics
- Interactive writing & storytelling
- Analogue and digital prototyping
- Video game & media studies
- Compact attendance time
- Project oriented learning
- International environment
- Bachelor degree (or higher)
- 12 months of work experience in audiovisual media or other games related fields
- Successful completion of Cologne Game Lab’s application procedure
- International students need to apply through Uni-Assist as well. Check our special information for international students
EU citizens: 850 Euro / semester (plus one-time fee of 200 Euro upon enrollment) Non-EU citizens: 1750 Euro / semester (plus one-time fee of 200 Euro upon enrollment).
The application for the M.A. in Game Development and Research starts in March with the publication of the application tasks on CGL’s website. The registration takes place in the end of March. International applicants can send their Uni-Assist applications from February 1st to March 31st. Throughout the application process CGL will examine applicants’ formal, artistic and academic qualifications as well as their English language proficiency.
If you have any further questions you can email our student counselor, Alex Boccia: email@example.com